Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Herbie Happy Birthday

My dog Herbie turns 5 years old on May 5. He has been with me basically since day one of me moving out of my moms house and on my own. I got him at 8 weeks old. He was the only available puppy left. When I called the breeder I was actually looking for black or salt & pepper mini schnauzers. She only had one white one and I really didn't want a white one but I was like hmmm ok I'll come check him out.

I got to the breeders house and there was the mom, Herbie & a black mini-schnauzer puppy that was already spoken for. Herbie was crazy he was chasing the other puppy all over the yard, rolling on the ground and just acting like a mad man. When the breeder finally put the other puppy away Herbie went to his mom and his mom was very protective of Herbie and didn't want us picking him up. I instantly knew I wanted him after watching him play and then picking him up and seeing how freaking cute he was. He was only like 3 lbs when I got him (he's now 23 lbs). On the ride home he was whining but I kept patting him and he eventually fell asleep in my arms. Puppies have this weird "Puppy Breath" smell, it's very distinctive and he totally had it for like 6 months haha. He would whine in his kennel when I would go to sleep at night so I would get up and let him out and pat him until he fell asleep. I eventually let him sleep outside of his kennel even though he would have accidents every night.

Herbie is the best thing so far that has happened in my adult life. He's always happy to see me. He's always ready to play or eat even if I wake him up from a dead sleep. He's learned so many things since I've had him: from sitting, to no begging for food, to speaking (howling) and much more. Life without Herbie would be completely different than what it is now. I'm glad he is my responsibility and that I have to take care of him because everything I have to do for him is nothing compared to what he gives me. Just having around me puts me at ease when I am stressed out or when I'm bored. I look forward to coming home from a night out and having him jump on me in excitement because he hasn't seen me in a few hours. Hell he even gets super excited when I'm gone for 15 minutes. I don't think he has any idea of time haha.

Photos of Herbie

So Happy Birthday Herbie! I hope you're with me for many many more!

Love your Dad,

Gregg

7 comments:

Erica Ann Putis said...

He's a cutie pat-tutie...

Erica

Gregg O'Connell said...

herbie's the best ever!

Anonymous said...

herbie was the best friend i made the whole time i lived in San Diego.

happy birthday buddy.

Dave

Gregg O'Connell said...

what the hell was i dave? i better have been your best lover then!

Anonymous said...

well gregg i'd like to think that we were friends BEFORE we decided to move across the country together.

though it certainly would have been a story to tell if i hadn't known you and you just showed up at my door and asked me to go.

you remain my best lover.
D.

Gregg O'Connell said...

Dave: as long as I remain your best lover that makes me happy and confident in my abilities.

Darlish: Herbie is like a giant cat. The only difference is he actually will do what you ask of him where as a cat will do what they want.

Gregg O'Connell said...

HERBIE! HERBIE! HERBIE!

5 YEARS OLD!!!!