Friday, January 05, 2007

5 Great Places To Eat in San Diego Recommended by greggoconnell.com

I know most of you don't live in San Diego, but you never know when you may have to move to San Diego to evade a warrant or a stalking spouse or maybe you will just vacation here. Here are a list of 5 spots that are really really good that a lot of people may not know about and that I recommend!




Poma's Italian Deli
1846 Bacon St
San Diego, CA
(619) 223-3027
This place is capital A-W-E-S-O-M-E! OK so it doesn't really have the best decor or alcoholic beverages that you can actually drink in the restaurant, but the food tastes like your grandmother from Italy slaved over it all day in the kitchen. The lasagna, the sauce, the meatballs, the garlic bread & the subs are really good! You're Italian grandmother definitely doesn't work here either but her grandsons do! It's all guys but they are super nice and very friendly! As a bonus they do have a TV that seems to always be showing talk shows like Oprah!

Gaglione Bros.
3944 W Point Loma Blvd
San Diego, CA 92110
(619) 758-0646
Wowawee! This sub shop is hands down the best steak and cheese sub place (aka Cheese Steak) I have ever had! It's the kind of steak that you barely have to chew. It goes down like water but tastes like steak and cheese. The bread is always soft and bakery fresh! Their fries are no slouch either, crispy, salty and yummy!

Bar-B-Que House
5025 Newport Ave.
San Diego, CA 92107
(619) 222-4311
Awesome BBQ sandwiches that are mega cheap! Sweet, medium or spicy BBQ sauce to go on top of your pork, beef or my favorite white meat chicken sandwich. They smoke the meat, then carve your sandwich meat from big hunks of pork, beef or chicken, then they smother it in BBQ sauce. Add the crispy, salty fresh fries and you've got yourself a meal any athlete would love to share with his teammates!

Old Venice Italian Restaurant
2910 Canon St
San Diego, CA 92106
(619) 222-5888
Elegant yet lively in a heavenly atmosphere. This by far is the nicest place to eat on the list and one of the nicest places to eat in San Diego period. It's an up class restaurant without the hoity toity people that generally inhabit these kinds of places. You have people that will dress up but then you'll also have a cute little blogger boy eating dinner with his girlfriend wearing sweatpants & a burrito stained sweatshirt. The food here is amazing, and fresh warm garlic bread is given all meal long for FREE. The ravioli's, lasagne, meatballs & spaghetti are my favorites. They also have this bar that's attached to the restaurant that is really cool. They play thumping ambient electronic music in a setting that rivals heaven itself. White table cloths, bottles and bottles of wine & waiters that look like they just got off the boat from Italy or Brazil.

Bronx Pizza
111 Washington St
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 291-3341
I'm from Massachusetts as most of you know and there are a lot of places there that have great pizza. When I got to San Diego I asked people who had good pizza and they'd say Papa John's. Freaking crazy right? Well I put a post in my blog in 2005 complaining that San Diego had the worst pizza, well someone responded and said to try a place on Washington Street called Bronx Pizza. So one day I go to Bronx Pizza and order up a pie. WOW! Amazing, New York Style pizza. It's really one of the best pizza places I have ever been to. The service kind of sucks only because the dudes that work there especially the big fat guy that does the register is an asshole. They act like they are in New York still so they give you that New York cliche attitude. I forgive them though because the pizza is top notch and makes my little heart stop a little with every bite! My favorite pie toppings are "Meatball & Pepperoni" "Plain Cheese" & "Pepperoni & Ricotta".

Get out there and explore the many fine hidden restaurants that your city has. I tend to find that the smaller mom and pop restaurants are better tasting and more enjoyable than the big chain places. Down with corporate restaurants!!!

Bon Appétit!
gso

16 comments:

Dan said...

Do they deliver to New Jersey?

Gregg O'Connell said...

Dan: if you show a little leg they might deliver to NJ...actually they don't deliver at all!

dirty said...

Since I will never be in San Diego. this post was worthless to me.

Thanks Gregg for wasting my precious time.

xoxo

dirty said...

If I belong anywhere, it's Florida.

I'm not ghetto enough for the west coast.

dirty said...

In a good way Gregg...in a good way.

You use slang that is funny to me.

But you are still cute.

Gregg O'Connell said...

dirty: thx sugary sweet tart

dirty said...

Your very welcome my little school girl!

Gregg O'Connell said...

emily: I did forget to put a burger joint, but I'm not super excited about any of the unchained burger joints...

Erica Ann Putis said...

You are such and indie food consure.

Gregg O'Connell said...

erica: dude i know!

dc1904 said...

Gregg, you are such a meat and potatoes guy... Also, I've lived my whole life in SD and I've never eaten at ANY of those places...

Aren't you moving up to Gay Bay anyway??

Gregg O'Connell said...

CAPTAIN: YOU DON'T KNOW any of these places cause all you eat is freaking mexican

dc1904 said...

That is a false statement, Greggor. I eat Mexican, Thai, Japanese, Greek....basically anything except plain old meat n potatoes.

dc1904 said...

You are a total contradiction:

You don't like chain restuarants but all you eat all day is packaged, manufactured food from bags made by big companies.

What Gives East Coast boy??

Gregg O'Connell said...

cap'n mo: I only eat frozen food b/c its easy otherwise I'd be bringing in fresh produce and chicken everyday!

Unknown said...

Greg, I just got back from San Diego and I took your advice on 4 of the 5 food places you suggested, and you are dead on RIGHT! First we went to the Bar-B-Que House and ordered the family meal. What a deal, for $33.00 you get enough food to feed 4-6 very hungry people, with some of the best bbq chicken and spare ribs I've ever had. Then we went to Bronx Pizza, hands down, the best New York style pizza around. Our third meal was at Poma's which served us the best lasagna I've ever eaten. Finally we went to Gaglione Bros. and ordered the 18 inch Steak and Cheese sandwich. Like you said, one of the best steak and cheese sandwiches around...don't forget to try the garlic fries which are made fresh for every order. Greg, you definitely know your food. Thanks for your suggestions, they were awesome. Those of you reading this should definitely take Greg's food advice!