Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Online Background Checks

I've been hearing a lot lately on the news and internet of employers doing background checks on potential employees by doing a Google search of their name and a Myspace name search to see what they come up with. They're looking for revealing photos, comments & blogs.

Obviously not everyone a company hires is a saint. People like to have fun and party. But is there partying weekend personality that shows up online in a photo gallery a good representation of the kind of worker they are? Not at all I know plenty of people that get wasted every weekend and come in Monday morning ready to kick ass and laugh at my jokes.

I would never ever want to work for a company that went that in depth with a background check. Damn if you do a online search of my name you'll come up with some interesting stuff; everything from sexy dance videos to podcasts to weird photos of me to twisted testicle stories. Does any of this show the kind of worker I am? No! I go to work and get my shit done. If a company found my website and saw something they didn't like and told me to take it down I wouldn't. It's free speech I can say and do basically whatever I want just like its their right to fire me if they'd like to over anything. I would feel like such a pussy if I bowed down to a company over my website. My website is my outlet of emotions. It's my whining board. It's my platform to express myself anyway I want. I love my website so fuck companies that do online background checks and long live Dr. Martin Luther King!

Fighting for your First Amendment,
gso

2 comments:

Erica Ann Putis said...

True dat!

Gregg O'Connell said...

you love free speech and my blog!